Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

SEROCONVERSION....AFTER 13 YEARS???
Aug 9, 2006

I have tried to get an answer to this from many places, including yourselves, but no-one seems to know. I was diagnosed in Nov 2004, after having been in a monogamous relationship for 13 YEARS by then. My partner is HIV-, so he cannot have infected me, so if it was sexually transmitted, it would have to have been 13 years earlier. I was taken to hospital in April 2001 with a severe rash (which we know understand to have been sero conversion)...is this possible? AFTER 13 YEARS?? I did have a tattoo 4 months prior to this..is this the more likely path of transmission, given the dates and timing? PLEASE answer this time...not knowing is very hard for me. Keep up this INVALUABLE work. NB, U.K.

Response from Dr. Young

NB, thank you for your post and comments.

Sometimes the data is difficult to piece together. It's very, very unlikely that you seroconverted 13 years after exposure. On the other hand, it's not inconceivable to me that your rash could have been your seroconversion (primary HIV infection, PHI) period; perhaps following exposure from the tattoo.

Best of health to you. BY

Previous
Do I need to change my medication cont.
Next
RESISTANCE QUESTIONS

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.