Gym and Nutrition

Hi Dr. Ben,

First and foremost, thank you so much for the work you guys provide to us. You are all Noble Prize winners in my book. It will be such a dream if one of my kids chose to be a doctor. Question: What is your opinion on HIV POZ people and hard exercise? Do you think it is ok to join a boot camp? Im a 35 year old male, contracted the virus 8 months ago. VL; 13,000, CD4 575/35%. I feel great and feel like pushing my self into working out but have been hesitant so far. Im used to working out with exception to the last 18 months due to laziness.

Thanks a bunch.

Thanks for your comments. No Nobel required (nor deserved), though I did have the amazing opportunity to spend many years learning from a Nobelist.

Here's the deal on exercise-- so long as your otherwise healthy (as your counts would suggest), there's no reason why you shouldn't exercise. Indeed, one of our readers has written about his successful marathon runs. You might let your doctor know about your plans, but in general start slow, build up gradually.

How hard is hard? This is all relative. Sprinter types like me think that anything longer than 90 seconds is too long; for my partner, Dr. Ken Greenberg, a 100 mile run in the Alaska winter is just a warmup run. Either way, enjoy your health and exercise. BY

initiate?
Altripla = Rash?