Abnormal Lymph Node

I have been positive since November 2002. I have not needed meds until March 2005 when I planned a pregnancy. I was undetectable in September (birth of my son). I immediately stopped the Meds as per my specialist recommended. My CD4 is in the high 5's and vial load in the low teens. I recently had an abnormal lymph node removed. The surgeon is recommending me to an oncologist. Could that lymph node be due to the break in meds? The lymph node became swollen April of this year.

Thanks for your post.

Abnormally swollen lymph nodes are not uncommon among persons off antiretroviral medications (even among those who are taking them). Nodes that are especially large and persistent; or those that grow in size can be of concern for maligancy (tumor) and should be evaluated.

I'm not sure about the specific histology (microscopic appearance) of your lymph node-- it could be "reactive"; suggesting HIV infection or have more ominous findings suggesting lymphoma.

I'd try to find out this information; certainly make sure to get the appropriate follow up.

Best of luck, write back anytime. BY

Constant falling Viral Load and CD4 count
Do I need to change medication