wrong meds

My medical provider has my on atazanavir, combivir, and lamivudine. I am concerned because my provider has a questionable bedside manner and he only treats the disease not the person; I am going to be changing providers but in the mean time why put me on lamivudine when combivir has lamivudine in it?? I would like to know because when I ask him, his reply does not give me any comfort. There are other things going on that have me concerned but for now I would appreciate a response to this question you responded to part one of my question (above) could this impact my response to hep c treatment?? i had the worst time on tx until it had to be stopped in june 2006 after six months of the worst possible side effects which included two hospilizatons for blood transfusions; the third concern is how can this impact my health and my response to other hiv meds now. i am going off the meds that are indicated in my first concern until i see another provider. thank you for your response

Thanks for your follow up.

In general, HIV treatments don't impact treatments for hepatitis C. There are some exceptions where there are the potential for overlapping side effect profiles. For example, AZT and ribavirin both have the potential to cause anemia and muscle aches. ddI and ribavirn shouldn't be coadministerd because of increased risk of toxicity for similar reasons.

Indeed, since you required transfusions, it's pretty clear that anemia was a problem for you and a switch to a non-AZT-containing regimen could have been beneficial (if that was an option based on your drug-resistance profile). Having had anemia before indicates that when resuming meds that avoidance of AZT would be prudent, particularly if HCV treatment is entertained again.

Let us know how things go; feel free to write back anytime. BY

follow up to "fixxed dose"
HIV in the Future