Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

confused
Aug 6, 2006

I have read many times that your opinion is most hiv patients can live a normal or near normal life span. but in an article today in webmd news--the article basically said that while treatments are getting better--death rates are not. it further states that people on treatment--9 out of ten will live ten years--- how is this correct? who is right? ten years staying alive on treatment doesn't seem very promising compared to near normal or normal life span

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your post.

This topic receives a lot of interest (for good reason).

One of the best recent articles on the subject comes from our good friend, Dr. Frank Palella from Chicago and his analysis of the HOPS cohort in the US. Here's the reference.

I think that people tend to want to over-interpret retrospective data and use them to forecast the future. I'm not sure about your 10 year figure, but remember that in general, these refer to at least 10 years-- not that all will die on the December of the 10th year (clearly an over interpretation).

Death rates have not much improved in the US since ~2000-- this is because the death rates have plummeted. Read Dr. Palella's article; it should provide many of the details that you seek. BY

Previous
Where & How?
Next
follow up to "fixxed dose"

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.