Grapefruit seeds extract

Hello!

I`m taking Kivexa and Sustiva for over 2 years now and my VL is undetectable and my CD4 count 300. Lately, I have been dealing with white tongue, fatigue, gaz, etc... After some research, I found I might have candida in mouth and/or bowel. One of the natural treatment is 3 to 4 drops of concentrate grapefruit seeds extract twice a day. I was wondering if is it safe to take it with my HAART ?

Thanks

Thanks for your post.

I'd be cautious about using any grapefruit extract or excessive grapefruit juice with HIV medications, particularly those that are metabolized by the liver (like abacavir and efavirenz--two of the medications that you're taking)-- this is because of the potential for uncharacterized drug-drug interactions to interfere with the potency of your HIV meds.

If you have HIV and truly think that you have Candida in your mouth or bowel, this isn't a time for self-diagnosis, nor experimentation with unproven combinations of supplements; rather, I'd suggest discussing your symptoms with your doctor. Appropriate diagnosis and known (or tested) medications can probably quite readily (and safely) eradicate the Candida.

Best of luck, BY

Sustiva and Truvada works.
CD4=0 VL350,000 Jan 2005