For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

fixxed dose?

well i caved in and agreed to start HAART, Sustiva & Truvada combo. My numbers (Tcell-700, 8375 VL) don't really reflect that I need to be on them but i am suffering severe chronic pain and depression. My doctor is trying to get to the bottom of the pain problem but always say's "you still haven't tried treatment, it might make you feel better". well anyways down to my question. I am 122 lbs probally a good 15 pounds under weight and it occured to me that most medication is dosed accorrding to size and weight. Why is it that i can't take a smaller dose of these meds? Maybe a full dose will be too much for my little body. Well I am starting them tonite a bedtime. I am extremely afraid. I am scared of the many irreversable things it will do to my body. I dont understand fixxed dosing.

Thanks for your post.

Fixed-dose combination means that the pill is a combination of multiple drugs- the doses of each drug in the pill is therefore not adjustable.

You're not so small that you need an adjustment of your current medications-- smaller doses, in general, likely result in less drug exposure and increased risk of treatment failure.

Hopefully, by now, you've had a few doses of medication under your belt, so to speak-- let us know how your symptoms have been. BY

Re: Epivir to Emtriva Switch
I ran the Comrades Marathon