Re: Epivir to Emtriva Switch

Hi BY, Thanks for answering my previous post a few days ago re: meds switch from Epivir to Emtriva. Now for the tough part: How do I convince my doc. to agree to try the change? I want to try Emtriva to see if hair loss will stop; doc. says hair loss more common than I think in women in their 40's. Doc is rather conservative in approach. Hair loss stopped post-partum about 11 mo after kid #1, but continues to this day after kid #2 delivered nearly 3 yrs ago. Over entire scalp. Have been on some sort of Epivir combo since 1998. Can hair loss be a possible side-effect this far into Rx? or did the hormones change prove to be a challenge for my immune system? VL undect. and CD4 675. Thyroid is normal. What to do next? Endocrinologist? Please advise. Thanks for your super work!

Thanks for your follow up and comments.

Hair loss has been reported among patients receiving 3TC (Epivir), though the frequency is formally unknown. In our practice (and with many hundreds of patients on 3TC), I can't recall seeing a case; this isn't to imply that you couldn't have the reaction.

You and your doctor are correct, in that there are a number of other potential causes- if other consultations are considered, I'd think that either endocrinology or dermatology would be a good starting point.

Best of luck, BY

Looking for an HIV specialist in DFW
fixxed dose?