Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Very confused about your answer about life spam Dr. Wohl
Jul 30, 2006

Hi Dr. Wohl, thank you very very much for your answer though i must say that it puzzled me and scared me somehow. I send an email before with many questions, metioning that my doctors where puzzled.....in your answer you reffer to life spam, and i dont really get what you mean? do you mean that i should add 13 years from now that i started hiv treatment, according to latest information and on top of that i could add 10+ years if i live healthy? or you are saying that because of the disadvantage of starting with low cell counts, i should be looking at probably just 10+ years from now since i started my meds? It doesnt seem to be clear......and please also advice about what you think about the combination or Lexiva, boosted by Norvir, and Truvada. Thank you very much and i hope to hear back from you soon.

Response from Dr. Wohl

Hi

A recent analysis suggests that modern HIV therapy adds an average of 13 years of survival beyond what a person could expect without such therapy. So, this 13 is on top of the years of life that can be lived without HIV therapy. But, this is an analysis looking at aggregate data and can not be used to predict life expectancy of any one person. It just gives a general sense of the benefit of therapy (huge).

Lexiva/Norvir + Truvada is a fine combo. Although not on the US Department of Health and Human Services 'preferred' list of initial regimens, I suspect it is only a matter of time until it is added.

I suspect you will do fine so try not to worry.

DW

Previous
older folks
Next
One Month CD4 Increase

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.