Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Shall I start medication now?
Jul 30, 2006

Hi,

I was diagnosed two months ago.My CD4 count dropped below 200 weeks ago(it was 350 in September last year). I know I was infected in August 2005. I don't have any diseases yet and feel very healthy, no coughs, no fever, nothing.

Shall I start taking the medication instantly, or shall I wait to see if my body can deal with it for the time being(start medication much later)?

Thanks,

Bob

Response from Dr. Young

Bob, thanks for your post.

If I were your doctor, and if your CD4 count was reconfirmed below 200, I'd certainly recommend starting on HIV medications.

It's good that you've not had any symptoms of HIV infection, but your labs already tell you that your body doesn't deal with "it" well-- you've lost almost 50% of your CD4 cells in the past year.

While it's understandable not to want to take anything that your body doesn't neeed, I always counsel patients like you to consider what you're waiting for-- with CD4s below 200, you're at considerable risk of life threatening complications and cancers.

You don't have to start on medications "instantly", but should have a thoughtful discussion with your doctor about your options (make sure that you get resistance testing prior to starting, to make sure that you're not resistant to any of the medications that you might start).

Best of health to you. BY

Previous
Atripla
Next
health insurance

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.