SHOULD I BELIEVE MY DOCTOR?

Greetings from Brazil and Congratulations for the terrific job Dr. Young. I have been following your answers during the last 4 months when I was diagnosed HIV+ during acute infection. I was still showing HIV(-) result with a VL of close to 7 million found on PCR(this number is what really frightens me) and CD4= 476. My doctor believes in early therapy when caught during accute phase and I immediately started HAART. After only 2 months I became undetectable. I am 44 years old and my doctor insists I have an absolutely normal live expectancy and should not worry...Since Kaletra hurts me a lot, I am wondering if the early therapy is a proved benefit or just a speculation? Can I expect some more 30 years of life?

Thanks for your post and kind words.

It appears that you've had a terrific response to your HAART regimen, started early in acute infection. Yes, your initial viral load was awfully high (but that's not unusual if tests are done during acute infection).

If you were my patient, I'd tell you to expect to live a normal (or at least a near-normal) life expectancy. (As you've been reading, it's really difficult to forecast this with certainty, any more than it's possible to predict the weather in 20 years.) Yes, I'd expect to live for decades to come.

I'm concerned about your statement that Kaletra "hurts (you) a lot"-- does this mean that you're experiencing "a lot" of side effects?

The benefits of treatment started this early remain speculative; hence if you're experiencing difficulties with side effects, tolerability and especially with adherence, it would be worth bringing these issues up with your doctor.

I hope this is helpful. Best, BY

couple questions
MSF in Ukraine