couple questions

Hi Dr Benjamin, I hope my question will be answered this time. I was dignoised with HIV when i went for physcials for adoptions about 4 months ago. I was put on medication immedately by my doctor and I seem to be doing well with no complications. my 1st questions is why does the law not allow hiv + people to adopt when it allows to adopt a hiv + kid and hiv + people to have children. what is the difference? my 2nd question is understanding my latest results and there are as follows; %CD4 (HELPER CELLS) 22L Reference range 30-61%, ABSOULUTE CD4+ CELLS 344 L Reference range 490-17400 PER CMM, HIV-1 RNA QN BDNA (V3.0) COPIES/ML (VERSION 3.0) in range 75 copies/mL. And then below it says A change in HIV-1 RNA level is likely signifcat only if the log 10 difference is 0.5 or more. What does this mean.

Thanks for your post.

I can't speak to adoption law, but know that they vary from location to location and agency to agency. Some HIV+ persons have successfuly and happily adopted.

As for your labs, your CD4 count is 344 (22%), just below the lower limit of normal and consistent with the neet to have started medications a few months ago. Your viral load test appears to indicate an undetectable level (less than 75); changes of viral load in excess of 0.5 log10 (in other words, 1/2 of a factor of 10) are considered significant changes, since there can be this amount of variation from day to day.

I hope this helps. BY

Follow up on lymphoma
SHOULD I BELIEVE MY DOCTOR?