Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

couple questions
Jul 30, 2006

Hi Dr Benjamin, I hope my question will be answered this time. I was dignoised with HIV when i went for physcials for adoptions about 4 months ago. I was put on medication immedately by my doctor and I seem to be doing well with no complications. my 1st questions is why does the law not allow hiv + people to adopt when it allows to adopt a hiv + kid and hiv + people to have children. what is the difference? my 2nd question is understanding my latest results and there are as follows; %CD4 (HELPER CELLS) 22L Reference range 30-61%, ABSOULUTE CD4+ CELLS 344 L Reference range 490-17400 PER CMM, HIV-1 RNA QN BDNA (V3.0) COPIES/ML (VERSION 3.0) in range 75 copies/mL. And then below it says A change in HIV-1 RNA level is likely signifcat only if the log 10 difference is 0.5 or more. What does this mean.

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your post.

I can't speak to adoption law, but know that they vary from location to location and agency to agency. Some HIV+ persons have successfuly and happily adopted.

As for your labs, your CD4 count is 344 (22%), just below the lower limit of normal and consistent with the neet to have started medications a few months ago. Your viral load test appears to indicate an undetectable level (less than 75); changes of viral load in excess of 0.5 log10 (in other words, 1/2 of a factor of 10) are considered significant changes, since there can be this amount of variation from day to day.

I hope this helps. BY

Previous
Follow up on lymphoma
Next
SHOULD I BELIEVE MY DOCTOR?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.