drug holiday ?

I was diognosed in 92, started meds in 99. I think the lowest my tcells were in the 500's and viral at 111,000. My doctor mentioned it maybe ok to stop meds for awhile because my tcell are at 1387 and my viral is at -50. Should i take chance on stopping for awhile and if so will I gain all my fat back . I have been on Trizivir and viread for over 2 yrs now. thankyou in advance

Hello and thanks for posting.

Although the SMART study showed worse outcomes with treatment interruption this trial included mainly people who had lower CD4 counts when they originally started therapy.

Another study recently presented at the 2006 Retrovirus meeting that is relevant to your situation was ACTG 5170. This trial enrolled subjects who had initiated HAART with CD4 lymphocyte counts above 350 cells. Treatment was withdrawn and was found to be generally safe.

If you do stop therapy it is not clear if you will regain all of the fat that you have lost, but you should see improvement over time.

Best of luck to you!

Severe seroconversion, treatment and future
Follow up on lymphoma