Truvada vs Combivir

I was diagnosed in May of 05, CD4 21 and VL >750,000. Been on Combivir and Kaletra since and 100% adherant. VL has been U/D since first labs and cd4 now 242. I have concerns about the AZT in Combivir and have expressed a desire to switch from Combivir to Truvada. The issue is that when I was hospitalized, they found out that I was born with only one kidney. From what I can glean, Truvada puts a strain on kidney function. Is this true?

Truvada contains a medication called tenofovir. Tenofovir has been linked anecdotally to kidney problems in a few patients. However, in reviews of data from many patients taking the drug serious kidney problems have been found to be very rare. Minor changes in the filtering ability of the kidneys are more commonly seen but are thought by most to be of questionable clinical significance.

Of course, there are no data in people with only one kidney. If your renal function is good, I do not see a problem and close monitoring should detect any changes. I think whether to go on Truvada is something you, your nephrologist and HIV doc should discuss together.

Is it save to switch to Atripla?
Sustiva & Options