Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

regimen change to once daily
Jul 23, 2006

After a year of treatment beginning only 2 years after seroconverting my cd4 count has jumped from a 320 low-point to 650 and my vl dropped from 200,000 to undetectable affter only 6 weeks. My doctor put me on combivir and unboosted reyataz (2X200). However, I have been having adherence problems with my evening dose, causing stress since my work schedule often changes at the last minute (can't get home, remembering to pack pills everywhere just in case, etc). I am also not thrilled about the AZT in my combivir. My Dr. seems a bit reluctant because my labs are so promising and I have virtually no side effects but agrees that my reasons for wanting a once a day morning regimen are valid. He is suggesting: Reyataz, Norvir, Viread and 3TC. I would like your opinion on this regimen. I know that a can be 100% adherent on a once a day morning regimen because in the past year since beginniing meds, I have never missed the AM pills. Thanks and thank you for your work on this website. It's fantastic!

Response from Dr. Pierone

Hello and thanks for posting.

I have patients that report a similar pattern of 100% adherence with morning medications, but occasional misses on the evening pills. This is a situation where a once-a-day regimen may be advantageous. I also have a concern about the use of un-boosted protease inhibitors for HIV treatment. Studies clearly show better responses with boosted PIs and very low rates of development of drug resistance should a boosted-PI regimen fail.

I agree with your doctor's plan, but would consider Truvada (Viread/FTC) instead of Viread and 3TC simply to lower the pill count by one and reduce the co-pay by one as well. Good luck to you!

Previous
Is Seroquel safe?
Next
Is extra muscle mass needed

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.