Is Seroquel safe?

My dr. has prescribed Serequel for me as I am an insomniac. Is long term use of this drug wise? Can it cause addiction or depression? Can it cause liver problems.

Seroquel is a medication that is approved for treatment of mania and schizophrenia. It has been shown to be associated with a greater risk of liver function test abnormalities compared to placebo, but these were asymptomatic. It is not considered to be addictive or linked with depression. One of its side effects is drowsiness, so this can be used to advantage when insomnia is a problem. But the larger issue is that Seroquel is not ordinarily used for insomnia since there are safer treatment strategies available. So I would double-check this with your doctor or consider getting a second opinion from a psychiatrist for the insomnia. Good luck!

Response To Reader with Thai Friend
regimen change to once daily