ZERIT AND FAT WASTING

MY PROVIDER RECENTLY CHANGED MY MEDS. AFTER NEARLY 3 YEARS ON COMBIVIR AND VIRRAMUNE I DECIDED TO TRY A DRUG HOLIDAY. I BECAME RESISTANT TO THE COMBIVIR AND WAS SWITCHED TO KALETRA, ZERIT, TENOFOVIR AND DAPSOME. WITHIN ONE WEEK MY BUTT AND LIMBS BECAME JUST SKIN OVER BONE AND I REFUSE TO TAKE THE ZERIT ANYMORE. IS THERE A DRUG THAT CAN REPLACE THE ZERIT AND WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF REYATAZ OVER KALETRA? THANKS ATLANTA, GA.

Hello and thanks for posting.

The first question is whether you might be able to use Viramune instead of Zerit. We don't often use NNRTI/Protease inhibitor combinations, but there are a number of studies demonstrating their efficacy. If you developed resistance to Viramune as well as Combivir then this would not work, but I assume you would have mentioned it.

Another approach that we sometimes fall back on is to use Kaletra and tenofovir (Viread) as a 2 drug regimen. Although this is not a standard treatment it usually works because Kaletra is so potent.

The advantages of Reyataz over Kaletra mainly revolve around its better tolerability. It is boosted with 100mg of Norvir instead of 200mg daily. Three pills a day for Reyataz and Norvir compared with 4 a day for Kaletra is another benefit. Also, there are fewer lipid problems with Reyataz and less diarrhea.

Let us know how things go for you and best of luck!

update on labs...wow
Regimen Change?