Switch from Combivir to Ziagen +VidexEC

First thank you 4 helping us, You are doing great job especially 4 us from east_EU countries that dont have comprehensive treatment. I am 28 m tested HIV+ 2 y.ago MY CD4 cells fell from 578 to 211 within three months after abusing heroin (viral load was not measured because they didnt have, and most of the time don't have reagents 2 measure PCR and CD4 as well) I've been on COMBIVIR+SUSTIVA for the past 4 months. On the last visit they didnt have COMBIVIR so they prescribed me instead ZIAGEN+VIDEXec along with SUSTIVA. However there are other ART drugs available such as TRIZIVIR.I asked that doctor if there is better supstitution and he said this is the best!?? I konow they have to reduce the coasts of treatment..so i am not really comfotrable w/t their sugestions. I still have my old meds 4 a week and before I start w/t new meds I"d like 2 know what do You think about this switch and do you think that TRIZIVIR is 'better switch' from combivir than those prescribed 2 me. Thank you 4 your time I am looking forward 2 hear from you. best wishes mario

Hello and thanks for posting.

Either approach change to Trizivir or Ziagen/VidexEC would be expected to be successful, but would only make sense as a stop-gap measure. If you changed to Trizivir this would be adding Ziagen to your current regimen (ordinarily not a great idea if the current regimen is working). The change to Ziagen/VidexEC from would involve a 2 drug switch (from the AZT and Epivir in Combivir) and the more agents that are changed at one time, the greater chance of a new side effect.

Let us know how things turn out with the switch. Best of luck to you!

First Regimen--Good?
ephedra with HIV meds