Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

My Labs
Jul 11, 2006

I wrote a letter to you 3 months ago about my lab results that I had started out with a t-cell count of 17, in three months went to a count of 107, and then 3 months later only to 108, but with a still undetetible viral load. I told you my doctor was not worried about my t-cell counts not raising any higher. You answered me and told me my doctor was right that with all my other lab results ok and my viral load undecetible that I seemed to be doing ok. You told me to let you know when I got the results of my next labs. Well I went today and got them my viral load is still undetectible but my t-cell count is only up from 108-122. All of the other labs were great, in fact my doctor was very well pleased. I have gained 8 more lbs. When I started taking meds September 17, 2006 I weighed 146lbs now I weight 180lbs my normal weight. My doctor was very please with all of my results. He told me not to worry about my t-cell count not going up any higher, that it had risen some and I was doing ok otherwise and as long as my viral load was undecetible that my t-cell count would continue to rise mayble slowly but would rise. He kept me on Bactrin, Norvir, Rayatax, and Truvada once a day. So do you think I am doing ok with my regiement, and is there anything else I can do to get my t-cell count up or do I have to just listen to the advice of my doctor and give it time. Thanks for your answer. And thanks for being here, I do go to the doctor but we do not really talk about alot just my count and how I am doing. and this site and advice from you and the other staff has what has given me hope and sanity since I found out I was HIV Pos. last August, so once again Thanks

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your follow up.

It sounds like you're doing well, with undetectable viral load, slowly increasing CD4 and perhaps most importantly, weight gain. Please look at your CD4 percentages, if you're looking for reassurance; I'd venture that this parameter has been steadily increasing.

I generally try to get patients like you to focus on how you're feeling-- energy level, appetite, etc. With the rising CD4 and undetectable viral load, if I was your doctor, I'd be quite happy. Another way of saying this is that while labs and numbers are important, we should never forget that the goal of treatment isn't a number, but a person.

Last, thanks for your kind words- knowing that we've been able to help you is of enourmous value. Best, BY

Previous
should I have started meds?
Next
New Pill ATRIPLA

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.