Explain the test results

Thank you for the website it is very helpful to people like us who always get know more about the HIV from you the experts.

Well i am from South Africa- My little sister is infected and we only found out last year as she was pregnant as well she is 18 years old. What i would like is for you to interpret the results in simple terms for me to be able to explain to my mom the latest results we received. She was on medication-Kaletra and the other i have forgotten during her pregnancy and presently she is only taking vitamins only.She stopped taking kaletra last year.

They are as like thislast year's results were as follows: CD4 CELL % 17 CD4CELL COUNT 277/u/L HIV-1LOG UNITS 3.088 HIV1-RNACOPIES 1.226cp/ml

Latest results are: CD4 CELL % 15.75% CD4CELL COUNT 460/uL HIV-1LOG UNITS 3.581 HIV1-RNACOPIES 3.812cp/ml

I appreciate your help in advance.

Thank You

Thank you for your post.

I apologize for how long it's taken to reply.

Your sister's labs indicate that she has moderately advanced HIV disease (based on her CD4 count). They also suggest that during the time that she was taking her lopinavir/ritonavir (Kaletra) based treatment, her immune system health may have improved modestly.

Her viral load is actually quite low-- this is good news because persons with lower HIV viral loads tend to have slower diseaes progression.

I trust that your sister will be able to continue to get periodical clinical and laboratory monitoring of her health--this is a very important aspect to medical management, especially for persons who are not currently taking HIV medications. The notion here is to resume treatment when her counts begin to drop, and well before she has any AIDS-related complications.

Feel free to write us back- best of luck to you and your sister. BY

RE-CD4%
Vein visability