Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

IIgM defeciency
Jul 5, 2006

Hello doc. It has been 3 years since my seroconversion. I decided on early treatment and have t cells about 1600-1800 and no viral load consistently. I'm on Sustiva and Epizacom. My pnuemococcal antibody was low and responded well to reimmunization at 6 months. I am going to get it rechecked. I have always suffered from sever allergies and recurrent sinusitis. My IgM levels were low a few years ago but I just let things be. I will be getting all this rechecked. Is there anything known about IgM defeciency and HIV POS status that you are aware of. I didn't think I would not have survived without your questions and answers that first year. Thanks so much.

Response from Dr. Wohl

While we think of HIV infection as an immunodeficiency disease involving T-cells, it also impacts B-cells - the cells that make antibodies. Now, often times during HIV infection B-cells make too many antibodies as a result of the absence of signals from T-cells controlling antibody production.

However, deficiencies in certain types of antibodies can also occur. Further, people without HIV can have IgM deficiency.

I would not worry too much. Your T-cells are good and that you responded to Pneumovax is a good sign.

DW

Previous
FAST PROGRESSOR?
Next
hiv test results - follow up question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.