What do i use???

I tested pos in June 2001. In 2003 took Nevirapine & Combivir for 6 months (was expecting) and stopped when my VL was undetectable and CD4 600 after having the baby.

Since then Ive not been on any medication. Have not been sick but lost lots of weight (9kgs) and so decided to check my numbers. My CD4 is currently 198. My VL results wont be back for a week. Nomatter what my VL is I definitely should be on treatment. What is the best regimen to start with?

Please reply urgently coz time is definitely not on my side anymore, by the end of next week Ill probably have lost more t-cells.

Thanks

First thing, don't worry about lossing T cells over the course of days. While starting back on therapy is important, it is not an emergency. You are probably lossing 50 to 100 T cells over teh course of a whole YEAR.

There are a few choice as far as therapy. If possible, I would first get a genotype resistance test. This test will help you and your doctors understand if your virus developed resistance to nevirapine when you were taking it before. I suspect you did not and that you could go back on this drug with Combivir if you tolerated it well and were able to adhere to the twice a day schedule.

Alternatively, you could start on a whole new regimen as there are several that will work and may be more convenient (once a day). I would still get the genotype in case you need to use nevirapine or its sister drug efavirenz in the future.

Weight Gain
Pregancy