Still confused

(14/09/05) CD4 - 590, VL 10640 then (27/03/06)CD4 487 - VL44689 after surgery, what does this translet to? since my Doc recons l'm still fine and no need to start therapy. l've never had any STIs or suffer from any opportunist diseases. Do l need to worry, prepare myself by taking immune boosters, and what do you recommend?

You have had a drop in your CD4 cell count of about 100 cells over 6 months. The significance of this is unclear and I would caution against placing too much attention on a single CD4 cell count value. Instead, look for trends. If you test again now and the count is 450, then there is would be clear that there is a real decline in your counts going on.

As you mention, surgery and other stresses can lower CD4 cell counts temporarily. Keep in mind that there is also variability in the number of CD4 cells we have day to day as well as variability in the lab test.

Likewise, the viral load numbers are really no different. There is about a three fold variability of this test (meaning a 10,000 and 30,000 result may be essentially no different).

So, don't worry. Re-test to look for a trend. As far as immune boosters, if you find one that works, let me know.

Re:Dr. Wohl on needlestick
what is CMV