Re:Dr. Wohl on needlestick

The ER Doc took a look at the needle and said that since she got stuck with the end of the needle that goes in the device that there was no real risk and not to worry about it. We took her to her pediatrician anyway and he also said the chances were extremely low for exposure but ran baseline tests. We are returning 3 1/2 weeks post exposure for HIV and HCV PCR tests to reassure. All the reading I had done regarding needlesticks, especially non-hospital ones involving insluin needles with no IDU abuse potential had been very encouraging. All those stats combined with the end of the needle she was stuck with put the odds at very low for HCV and astronomically low for HIV. Have I lulled myself into a false sense of security or are the chances as low as I am thinking?

I think the risk of transmission was very low even if the needle had been used by an HIV infected individual. At this point, you are doing what you need to: following up on the blood work so that you can be completely worry free.

Treatment
Still confused