just found out cd4 count

Hello

I'm 21 years old and I live in ohio I just found out that I have HIV and I had my lab done by a nurse but havent seen a doctor yet my CD4 count is 243 and I dont know anything else yet its hard getting into a doctor. Its about a 2 month wait I was wondering if I wait will I be ok or will I need meds soon. I know 243 is low and I wanted to know what you thought my next step should be.

Thanks for your post.

I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis; it's a lot to deal with.

Unfortunately, if your CD4 count confirms (or is repeated) at ~250 you're at a stage where starting medications is soon. This need not be an emergency, but if you were my patient, I invest time in discussing your need for medications and other preventive medical strategies; your treatment options and ability to adhere to meds.

The next steps are to get additional health screening (viral load, HIV resistance tests, hepatitis screening/vaccinations); find a doctor that has experience with HIV and its treatments (check out your local ASO or the AAHIVM.org find a provider service).

Best of health, write us back with any questions, any time. BY

Signs of HIV worsening?
FAMVIR MEDICATION