Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

placebo
Jun 14, 2006

my lover is going into a study for the tmc114 and tmc125. i'm asking if a placebo is no longer taking place in study drug testing. i was told by a nurse that they could no longer do a placebo tretment and that the person had to be given both drugs or one drug. I live in mass.if that makes a differents. thank you al

Response from Dr. Wohl

Placebos are used in certain types of studies and when they are the consent form indicates this clearly. For a treatment study of initial therapy for HIV infection or treatment following treatment failure, each regimen must have active drugs that are expected to work. If the study is between two regimens with different numbers of pills and is blinded (the participant and the investigator are unaware of what therapy the patient is taking) then placebos are used so as to not give away the treatment assignment.

In other studies, such as short term trials of new medications, some people may be assigned to only placebo and not active drug. This is justified by the short duration of the study (weeks) and the inclusion of people who are fairly healthy. Again, the placebo part is included in the consent document.

So, placebos are used. They can help determine that any adverse effects seen can be compared with those seen in people not on active drug - an important thing to do so as not to label a drug as having a side effect (e.g. anemia) when that 'side effect' was also seen in people assigned the sugar pill.

When considering any study, read the consent carefully. Take it home. Write down questions and take these to your doctor and the study staff. That way there are no surprises.

DW

Previous
Kaletra Monotherapy
Next
Correct time of medicine

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.