Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

RE: This is all i Have to Look Forward To?
Jun 12, 2006

Hi, I just wanted to respond to the person who posted about being recently diagnosed with HIV and being told by his doc that he was inevitably going to be dead in 20 years from AIDS. I have to admit, it's true, as Dr. Young and the other great docs on this site have always said, we really don't know for sure what the future holds for people living with HIV. I, like eveyone else, really wish our crystal balls were working right now. That said, I have to tell you, things are looking up AND the most qualified docs including those on this site are not here to lie to you. Sure, some of the side effects of HIV are less than wonderful, but you have to keep in mind that there are many brilliant scientists and docs on your side, working to ensure that people afflicted by this monster can and will win. It may not always be smooth sailing, but one thing that is of great importance is to never underestimate the power of the human spirit in combination with the power of science. We have come a long way since the advent of this disease...in some ways we've won and in some ways we've lost. However, one place that has been really miraculous is in regard to the medications. They're life-saving drugs and, recently, they've really become quite beautiful in terms of their low side-effect profiles and potency. You bet that there are many more new drugs in old and new classes that will be making their way into your life. Being 21 and HIV positive is certainly difficult, but you have so much reason to be optimistic that you will be around to take advantage of all the wonderful existing and new treatment options that will keep you healthy and fit for a long, long time. HIV is certainly a worthy foe, but your spirit and the spirit of all those working on your behalf is no small thing. I sincerely believe we can overcome this and would not assume the worst is inevitable. Keep up a positive, optimistic attitude, take care of yourself and others, and continue to believe in the efforts of all the scientists and docs working around the globe who are working to ensure that HIV does not gain the upper hand in life. With the right attitude and the right lifestyle, I believe you'll be just fine.

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your thoughtful post.

I'm sure that your perspective will be of value to our previous question's author. I'd invite others to share their views and/or experiences. BY

Previous
An RN question
Next
TLC - test results. please.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.