RE: This is all i Have to Look Forward To?

Hi, I just wanted to respond to the person who posted about being recently diagnosed with HIV and being told by his doc that he was inevitably going to be dead in 20 years from AIDS. I have to admit, it's true, as Dr. Young and the other great docs on this site have always said, we really don't know for sure what the future holds for people living with HIV. I, like eveyone else, really wish our crystal balls were working right now. That said, I have to tell you, things are looking up AND the most qualified docs including those on this site are not here to lie to you. Sure, some of the side effects of HIV are less than wonderful, but you have to keep in mind that there are many brilliant scientists and docs on your side, working to ensure that people afflicted by this monster can and will win. It may not always be smooth sailing, but one thing that is of great importance is to never underestimate the power of the human spirit in combination with the power of science. We have come a long way since the advent of this disease...in some ways we've won and in some ways we've lost. However, one place that has been really miraculous is in regard to the medications. They're life-saving drugs and, recently, they've really become quite beautiful in terms of their low side-effect profiles and potency. You bet that there are many more new drugs in old and new classes that will be making their way into your life. Being 21 and HIV positive is certainly difficult, but you have so much reason to be optimistic that you will be around to take advantage of all the wonderful existing and new treatment options that will keep you healthy and fit for a long, long time. HIV is certainly a worthy foe, but your spirit and the spirit of all those working on your behalf is no small thing. I sincerely believe we can overcome this and would not assume the worst is inevitable. Keep up a positive, optimistic attitude, take care of yourself and others, and continue to believe in the efforts of all the scientists and docs working around the globe who are working to ensure that HIV does not gain the upper hand in life. With the right attitude and the right lifestyle, I believe you'll be just fine.

Thanks for your thoughtful post.

I'm sure that your perspective will be of value to our previous question's author. I'd invite others to share their views and/or experiences. BY

An RN question
TLC - test results. please.