Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

An RN question
Jun 12, 2006

I am an RN, I was caring for an AIDS pt who had a long-standing abdominal wound that had no visible drainage to the best of my knowledge. As I took off my gloves after cleaning the abdominal wound, my thumb (where I had small cut) felt wet. I didn't see anything on it but immediately put on hand sanitizer and went and washed my hands. My workplace was notified but they stated that they don't see any possible way I would be at risk. I told them I would feel confident if they would just test me and they refused. Now what do I do?

Response from Dr. Young

I think that you've had a very, very low risk exposure (if any risk at all).

I'm a bit surprised by your workplace health assessment, since I'd expect at least baseline HIV (and other blood borne pathogen) testing, just to be sure. BY

Previous
Resistance - Disappears?
Next
RE: This is all i Have to Look Forward To?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.