Resistance - Disappears?

I read your answer to someone about resistance testing for treatment naive people. I had such a test, and found that I was resistant to all nukes. You implied at the end of your answer, however, that sometimes that resistance might disappear over time. Is this in fact the case? I'm on Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir, but worry about what comes next when I need to switch. I had thought resistance was permanent. Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your post.

Resistance is truly irreversible, what isn't is the ability of our tests to detect resistance. For example, persons who were infected with wild type virus and develop resistance during treatment will have detectable resistance while on treatment; that resistance may not be detectable after the treatment (or "Darwinian selective pressure") is discontinued.

The fact that you had resistance to all nucleoside RT inhibitors ("nuke") in the past means that you have a very high likelihood of having resistance to some or all of them now. This would imply that the majority of the potency of your current regimen is due to the atazanavir/ritonavir combo (with a less than full potency from the tenofovir/FTC).

Hope this helps, write back if you have any other questions. BY

Dropping Rescriptor
An RN question