How long will this regimen last?

Hiya. I hope I'm asking this question in the right place.

I was diagnosed positive about 2 years ago and almost immediately started on Sustiva and Combivir. Luckily, I've had almost no side effects of note. (It's almost like taking aspirin.) I've never missed a dose although lately I don't always hit a perfect 12-hour time interval between doses.

Almost immediately the viral load slid to undetectable and the CD4's have steadily risen from 220-ish to over 500.

These are, of course, all good things. My question: How long can I expect this regimen to work this well?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for your post.

If you've gone two years without side effects and with undetectable viral load, it's pretty unlikely that you'll have any problems with your current regimen for a long, long time. Most patients that have problems with their treaments do so within the first year-- it's very rare to see new complications or side effects crop up after that time. This in part, is why I'm an ain't broke don't fix, kind of doctor, when it comes to regimens like yours.

How long this will work for you is difficult to quantify-- indeed, I'd expect to see newer treatments emerge in the years to come; it's possible that at some point, the potential benefit to you will offset the potential risk of new side effects. At that time, a treatment switch might be considered.

Until that time, keep up the adherence; thanks for posting. BY

How long will this regimen last?
Resistance testing