restart med

Hello Dr. Benjamin Young. I am highly encouraged by your answers though I myself am not a person living with HIV. But I have friends living with the virus and some that have already developed the illness. My question is a friend of mine has suspended the medication on combivir and stocrin for over three months now because of shortage of the pills in the country. Now that he has obtained them after over three months, what is the danger of resuming the regimen? Expecting your well-thought answers very soon.

Thanks for your post.

There is some theoretical risk of developing drug resistance after unplanned (and simultaneous) discontinuation of AZT/3TC (Combivir) and efavirenz (Stocrin, Sustiva). This is because the AZT and 3TC will leave the body much more quickly than the efavirenz, leaving HIV potentially exposed to efavirenz monotherapy.

This possibility should deter one from resuming the same medications, now that they are available again, but the response to treatment should be monitored closely, if possible. Any lack of response should trigger an evaluation for possible resistance.

I hope this helps, BY

CD4%
Meds at 4.5 Months