Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can anything create HIV?
Jun 8, 2006

Hi I know this may be a weird and odd question and I was going to originally ask Dr Francsico but he is away so hopefully you guys can help. Anyway I was just wondering is it possible to self infect yourself if you don't have HIV? The reason why I am asking is because I am very anxious and keep getting paranoid and scared of HIV e.g. a few months ago I thought I got HIV because I had a wet dream while I was asleep and moved around and when I woke up some of the sperm was around my anus (and maybe gone in etc). This is when I thought it was possible that I had HIV becuase my sperm reacted with my faeces or something in my faeces and made HIV hence I became infected. I was just wondering is HIV only past on through transmission of fluids with an HIV positive person or can you really create it (e.g. like I have mentioned about my wet dream etc) when a bodily fluid such as sperm reacts with something e.g. something in your faeces etc. I know this is a weird question but I think an answer would really help. PS I read about this somewhere but i forgot where (it might have been the CDC) but it said that they did an expermient about how long HIV was able to infect which they found out was about 3 days after drying but this was becuase they used HIV in concentrations which are far higher then what you would natuarlly get. I was just wondering how did they "make" such a high concentration of HIV? Did they extract it from a HIV positive person and then grow it or did they create it somehow?

Response from Dr. Young

We don't usually answer this type of question on this forum, but to this I've got to respond.

HIV infection comes from contact from an HIV+ person's body fluid to the mucous membranes (oral, vaginal, rectal) of an HIV- person.

If you don't have HIV, you can not infect yourself. BY

Previous
First meds
Next
It works! Have faith.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.