The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

add to hiv E. Africa Q
Jun 8, 2006

Following up to the question on June 4th regarding the A and D clades of HIV infection in East Africa...I became infected in Tanzania last January (05) and have already dropped in CD4s to under 200 - my VL is 399,000. I read the link regarding the D Clade and am wondering if that is what could have made me progress so fast from initial infection to an AIDS diagnosis. Should I ask my Dr. to run a test for the D Clade (and can he now that I have started meds?)? He did a Genome test and found the strain was not resistant to any medication but I am not sure that is the same thing. If it is D Clade type then will it respond to treatment the same as any drug-naive strain?? Thanks for any info - this forum is wonderful!

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your post.

I think that you may already have the answer to your question in the resistance test. Most resistance tests also report the HIV clade-- ask your doctor about your test results. Among patients with non-B virus, I'll tend to order a phenotype, if financially possible, since most of the genotypic interpretations are based on data derived from clade B virus.

Irrespective of clade, you have a very high viral load, this is likely responsible for your rapid CD4 decline.

That said, whenever I start a treatment regimen, particularly among non-B clades, I'm very attentive to the decreases in viral load. If they're heading down, then I'm satisfied. If not, I'll be asking a lot of questions.

I hope this helps, BY

sustiva/truvada miracle?
First meds

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint