Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Integrase Inhibitors
Jun 7, 2006

Hi Dr. Young, thanks for everything...really mean it. I have a question about the integrase inhibitors. I am very hopeful that this class of drugs will come through sometime in the near future or at least sometime in the future, but I am curious as to why they are considered so important. I know that they target a new enzyme in HIV and, thus, present a new target for attacking replication of the virus and, of course, this is really important. But aside from this, do you think inhibiting the integrase enzyme offers significant benefit over inhibiting the nucleoside reverse transcriptase enzyme or the protease enzyme? I'm just wondering because I read something by Dr. Ho...something along the lines of integrase inhibition being a more imporant (or attractive) target for stopping viral replication than inhibition of the protease and NRT enzymes bc of the specific step in viral processing that it targets. I'm not sure if I read his words correctly, but I think he did say this. If you can block all three of these enzymes simultaneously, does this mean HIV would have a significantly harder time garnering resistance? Just wondering if you think integrase inhibitors have the potential to be a new "backbone" of hiv therapy (sort of like the nucs) or if they will more likely be used as "add-on" drugs to supplement failing regimens (I've heard that the entry inhibitors, at least at this point, are headed in this direction). Your thoughts, as always, are warmly appreciated.

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your post and thoughts.

I think that all of Dr. Ho's comments are accurate on this point. Integrase inhibitors (INIs) are attractive because they inhibit a new target, thus, patients with drug resistance should benefit from INIs.

Because of INIs prevent the establishment of chronic infection of the CD4, the drug class offers some particularly attractive theoretical advantage in decreasing the amount of latently infected cells.

Early studies have shown very impressive results, with very large viral load decreases, even in highly drug-resistant patients.

As to how INIs will be optimally used, this remains an area of research and probably for novel clinical trials design. I'd expect to see novel drug combos in the future that explore the way that we combine treatments.

Thanks for your interest, BY

Previous
Scrub nurse cut by surgical tool
Next
NONE

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.