HIV STATS

Hi:

I'm a 44 year old healthy fit male who recently was diagnosed with HIV. My Cd4 is 391 and my Viral load is 9360. How do I know how serious this is and when to start medication.

Thanks for your post.

You've got a CD4 count that's close to, but not formally at the threshold for starting medications. Since your viral load is relatively low, the expected rate of CD4 decline should be slower than average, hence, you've got some time to explore your options.

Given the tolerability and efficacy of current treatments, I'd be in favor of starting medications sooner than later-- waiting simply increases your risk of having a HIV-related complication and I tend to be proactive in this setting.

I hope this is helpful, BY

Starting HIV MED at CDCount of 1021
Scrub nurse cut by surgical tool