Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

stop taking medicine
Jun 6, 2006

1 have HIV 1 1/2 year now and i am taking the medicine 25 days now.stocrin 600 mg 1 tablet at night and , lamivudina zidovudina 150 mg 300 mg.morning and night.I have been treated for 2 months now with an alternative medicine and seems it is working according to my last analysis.my question is if i stop taking the medicine will i get worse? i need to see if this other medicine works. how good do my results look? below they are . I live in south america thank you. CUANTIFICACION DE CARGA VIRAL PARA HIV

COBAS Ampliprep/COBAS AMPLICOR test, version 1.5

limite de deteccción Metodo estándar 400-1.000.000 copias RNA/ml de plasma Metodo ultrasensible 50-100.00 copias RNA/ml de plasma

resultado

Método estandar

Menos de 400 copias RNA/ml de plasma

Menos de 2,6 logaritmo de copias RNA/ml de plasma

OBSERVACIONES : NO DETECTABLE CUANTITATIVAMENTE POR METODO ESTÁNDAR

............................................................................................................................................... -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HIV CD4

Abs Cnt

result name %/ Ratio (cells/ul) Reference Range ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ T Lymphs of Limphs (CD3+/CD45+) 73.90 55 %............. .........84%

T Lymphs (CD3+) Abs Cnt 769 690........................2540

T Helper % of Limphs (CD3+CD4+/CD45+) 21.41 Lo 31%.......................60%

T Helper Lymphs(CD3+CD4+)Abs Cnt 223 Lo 410.........................1590

Response from Dr. Wohl

It looks like your viral load is undetectable (<400 copies/mL) and your CD4 cell count is 233. I don't know what your CD4 cell count was prior to starting HIV therapy but your viral load is excellent.

If you really must test whether it is your HIV meds that is responsible for this success (despite study after study demonstrating these medications work - and no study I am aware of showing that anything other than HIV medications can drop the viral load to undetectable) then I would talk to your doctor about a brief drug holiday.

I suggest you give it 2 weeks and have your viral load checked again off of the HIV medications. Your doctor may recommend you stop the Stocrin first and then a couple of days later the other two medications as the Stocrin can last in your blood longer than the others.

DW

Previous
TRANSMISSION
Next
crixivan, good or bad?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.