Jun 6, 2006
in a recent answer, you said that a person recently hiv+ should expect to live a normal or near normal life barring having a strain that is resistant. how common is it to have a resisitant strain? and what about those who do?
Response from Dr. Young
Thanks for your post.
The answer to your question depends on just how much drug resistance is present. For those persons with limited, or single drug class resistance, the prognosis in my view is also quite good.
By contrast, for those persons with multiple drug-class resistance and in whom we can't suppress the virus (fortunately a very rare group among those who are treatment naive), treatment can be much more difficult, side effect prone and prone to treatment failure.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Burning Penis After Unprotected Anal Sex Without Ejaculation Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Hair Loss After Touching Vagina Worried I Have HIV
- Herpes After Mutual Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
- Itchy Scrotum After Touching Vaginal Fluid Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Trouble Urinating After Anal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Does Nuvaring Cause Vaginal Irritation?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.