new regime/possible side effects

Hi Doc, I've recently started on a new regime of Combivir and Lexiva (unboosted). My previous regime of Epzicom and Sustiva only lasted for 10 days before I broke out in a severe rash and had to stop. Question: What side effects should I look out for with my new regime(Combivir and levixa)?. Right now I feel great. I can sleep, no dizziness, not tired, clear-headed, my energy is good, etc. My only concern is possible lipo. My health care provider first suggested Truvada and Reyataz, but she thought that skin discloration and increased burilium levels would be a problem for me down the line. Am I on a good regime?

Thanks for your post.

Fosamprenavir (Lexiva, Telzir) is one of the newer HIV protease inhibitors. In our hands, it has been quite well tolerated in the vast majority of patients (in contrast to the earlier PIs).

A few patients will experience gastrointestinal side effects, some will experience a mild (and usually self-limited) rash.

The regimen of AZT/3TC (Combivir) with fosamprenavir should prove to be well tolerated- compared wtih the atazanavir (Reyataz) regimen, shouldn't cause any problems with hyperbilirubinemia. I tend to use fos with ritonavir (Norvir) boosting, to increase the potency of the regimen-- this has some issues with increasing patient's lipids, but this happens in a minority of patients. Indeed, recent data from the GSK-sponsored KLEAN study showed that when dosed with abacavir/3TC (Epzicom), fosamprenavir+ ritonavir is similar in potency to the DHHS "preferred" PI, lopinavir/ritonavir (Kaletra).

I hope this helps. BY

steroids
Just one more thing to worry about