How quick ? HIV to Aids

My brother has been recently (1 week ago) diagnosed with AIDS. He said that his last HIV in Oct. 2005 was negative. He is now full blown aids. CD4 count of only 86. I do not know his viral load numbers and have asked him to get these numbers from his doctor. I am a nurse and feel that there has not been much education as to what numbers he needs to be concerned with and just exactly what they mean. I am wondering if this is possible, the progression so quickly to AIDS. The information I have read suggests usually 7-10 years. He is 29 and we have been aware of his homosexuality for 9 years. Have you ever heard of HIV progessing to AIDS so quickly. I am wondering if he is being totally honest with me about his negative status in Oct, but want to know if this would be appropriate to ask him or not.

Thanks for your post.

Yes, it's entirely possible to progress from acute HIV infection to AIDS within a matter of a couple of years (or less).

I don't think that persuing the timing of your brother's infection will do either of you much good at this point, but only serve as a potential issue to quarel over. At this point, with his CD4 count of 86, your brother needs to find a doctor that he trusts and can effectively communicate with-- and as soon as possible get on combination therapy for HIV.

Best luck to both of you, BY

want to get pregnant
Resistance Inevitable?