Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How quick ? HIV to Aids
Jun 4, 2006

My brother has been recently (1 week ago) diagnosed with AIDS. He said that his last HIV in Oct. 2005 was negative. He is now full blown aids. CD4 count of only 86. I do not know his viral load numbers and have asked him to get these numbers from his doctor. I am a nurse and feel that there has not been much education as to what numbers he needs to be concerned with and just exactly what they mean. I am wondering if this is possible, the progression so quickly to AIDS. The information I have read suggests usually 7-10 years. He is 29 and we have been aware of his homosexuality for 9 years. Have you ever heard of HIV progessing to AIDS so quickly. I am wondering if he is being totally honest with me about his negative status in Oct, but want to know if this would be appropriate to ask him or not.

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your post.

Yes, it's entirely possible to progress from acute HIV infection to AIDS within a matter of a couple of years (or less).

I don't think that persuing the timing of your brother's infection will do either of you much good at this point, but only serve as a potential issue to quarel over. At this point, with his CD4 count of 86, your brother needs to find a doctor that he trusts and can effectively communicate with-- and as soon as possible get on combination therapy for HIV.

Best luck to both of you, BY

Previous
want to get pregnant
Next
Resistance Inevitable?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.