Results with Truvada/Sustiva combination

I recently was diagnosed and believe I have been positive for about a year to a year and a half. During my March tests, my viral load had jumped from around 100,000 in December to greater than 500,000. For this same test period my CD4 stayed around 500. During this massive jump in viral load, I didnt experience the tiredness that I would have expected with such a large increase. My doctor decided to put me on the Sustiva/Truvada combination. After 45 days of therapy, my numbers have greatly improved. My CD4 cells are now at 875 and my viral load is at 1,102. My am curious as to whether this is a typical result with medications or if I was possibly started on medications too early. I can be certain that I was HIV negative 2 years ago and believe I became infected in February of last year. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Brian

Brian- Thanks for your post.

I'd say that you've had an excellent and not unusual response to tenofovir/FTC (Truvada) and efavirenz (Sustiva, Stocrin)-- your drop in viral load is excellent as is your increase in CD4.

There's some difference in opinion as to whether your increased viral load alone comprises sufficient basis to start medications, though in those patients who are willing and able to adhere to current regimens, we see excellent immune system recovery, such as yours.

So, stay with the program and work to stay adherent-- I'll expect to hear from you in the many healtht years to come. BY

TB and HIV
want to get pregnant