Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Any new studies on Kaletra as single drug treatment
Jun 4, 2006

I'm ten years into treatment without complication. Recently, my physician modified my treatment to a single drug (Kaletra 200mg/50mg) 2 tablets twice daily. I need more information on this approach as everything I've found is out of date.

Response from Dr. Pierone

Hey, great timing for this question! I have spent way too much of my spare time over the last 6 weeks reviewing the literature on Kaletra monotherapy and finalizing a journal submission for some original research that our team performed on Kaletra monotherapy. Even though this is a radical departure from standard HAART, Kaletra monotherapy generally is effective at suppressing HIV. Aribas (1) recently published a randomized study in JAIDS which showed Kaletra monotherapy worked almost as well as a standard approach utilizing Kaletra and 2 nukes. There a handful of other studies that have been presented at scientific meetings and more data will be presented next week at the resistance meeting in Spain. The studies are pretty consistent in showing a high level of effectiveness and a few failures as well. More data will be coming out over the summer from some larger studies that were initiated several years ago so stay tuned.

Arribas JR, Pulido F, Lorenzo A, et al. Lopinavir/Ritonavir as Single-Drug Therapy for Maintenance of HIV-1 Viral Suppression: 48-Week Results of a Randomized, Controlled, Open-Label, Proof-of-Concept Pilot Clinical Trial (OK Study). 2005 J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 40(3): 280-287.

Previous
Effects of DDI
Next
Switching from a Long Successful Combo To a simpler one

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.