anal cancer

I was diagnoised with anal cancer in July 05 & after chemo/radiation therapy, a new dime size cancer tumor was discovered. My surgeon told me that I may have to have my anus removed. Do I have any options beside having my anus removed? Thank you very much for your time & response.

The first question is whether you can have local resection of the dime size tumor. In this location recurrence after primary treatment poses special challenges. Resection may lead to loss or compromise of the anal sphincter and resultant fecal incontinence. Also, the previous radiation increases the risks of surgical complications. Sometimes an anterior posterior anal resection and permanent colostomy may be the only reasonable treatment option. Even with this definitive procedure the prior radiation increases the chance of complications. The most important thing is that you should be sure you have a surgeon well versed in management of this condition. Best of luck!

Regime Ok / Novir as booster
Effects of DDI