The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

treatment progress
Jun 3, 2006

Hello, the doctor told me that Trizivir and Co-trimaxozole works well for me and there is no virus in my blood any more. The CD4 count is 382, she told me the immunity is working now. However, where is the virus? In the lymphnodes? I' ve heard in the long or medium-term that leads to lymphatic cancer. And what about the immunity? I' ve read somewhere on the net that a healthy person has the CD4 count at least in the range of 500 +/-. What do you think the situation with me is right now. Was the doctor not concealing anything from me? Lymph nodes are swollen:(

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your post.

With a CD4 count of 382, your levels have reached the lower limit of normal (500 is "average", but the range of CD4s is between 350 and ~1200). Hence, your immune system has reached functional levels and your risk of having an AIDS complication is vanishingly low (it's "working now").

The virus will lay dormant in a variety of tissues, primarily the lymph nodes and spleen. I'm not sure where your getting your information from, but this does not mean that you'll get lymphatic cancer (lymphoma), nor does it mean that your doctor is negligent.

Persistently swollen lymph nodes can be common among patients with HIV, though combination therapy usually remedies this in a matter of months. If you still have swollen nodes, then your doctor should be made aware of your symptoms.

I hope this helps, BY

newly infected, ok for alchohol and smoking?
Gilbert syndrome

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint