CD4 Counts & Radiation for testicular cancer

I'm a 38-year old male that was diagnosed as HIV+ in 2003. My CD4 counts have averaged 650-750, with percentages in the 30-35 range and VL 400-500. I have never taken meds. My Dr. calls me a long-term non-progressor.

Last July I was diagnosed with stage one testicular cancer. My treatment consisted of a radical orchiectomy & four weeks of radiation treatments to my abdomen. After the treatments my CD4 cell counts plummeted to 187. However, my VL stayed low (2600 now), and my % has been in the high 20's/low 30s. Im doing everything I can naturally to support my body & immune system. Now my doctor wants me to start meds due to the low CD4 count, but I feel strongly that the drop is due to the radiation, not the HIV virus. I have plenty of energy, have not been sick, and my CD4 counts have increased to 240 over the last 3 months. My questions are: 1) Is it OK to give my body a full year to recover from the radiation before considering meds (even if CD4 counts are not optimal, and 2) Even if I do start meds, will my CD4 counts rise substantially if I am still recovering from the radiation treatments?

Your situation is unusual but I think that you may be correct in your decision to decline antiretroviral therapy at this time. I have seen infections, chemotherapy, and other stressors temporarily lower CD4 counts. If the latest count increased to 240 this looks like a favorable trend and you may return to your baseline with passage of time. Let us know what you and your doctor decide and how things turn out. Thanks for posting!

Need help in Indonesia
recent labs!