CD4 counts remain low

CD4 counts remain around or under 200 (were down to 20). I am 100% compliant with my drug regimine of truvada, reyataz and norvir and have been for almost a year. My viral load went immediately undetectable from over 750,000. My CD4 went up from 20 to 165 over the past 2 years. How else or what else can I do to get my CD4 count up. Are there other meds that work better to increase cd4 count?

Hello and thanks for posting. It sounds like the CD4 count increase that you are experiencing puts you right on track for a typical increase from a very low level. The pace of CD4 count increase tends to slow down after the first year, but over the 2 to 6 year time-frame you can expect further increases (30 to 50 per year on average).

There is really not much to do to speed up this process. IL-2 is an investigational approach that does increase CD4 cells, but the miserable side effects and high cost suggest that this treatment will never make it from experiment to reality.

If you are tolerating this regimen well it might be best to wait it out, HIV treatment is a marathon, not a sprint and within several years your numbers should be quite a bit higher. Best of luck to you!

Human Growth Hormone and Lipodystrophy
First Time Meds - Take Effect?