follow up on "Travelling to the US"

Hi there,

I was quite surprised to read that foreign visitors actually have to pay for medical care and analysis... Here (Belgium), HIV medication is completely free (for all... no exceptions), as are the haematological/serological/... analysis. Foreigners who fall ill on Belgian ground (so to speak) are treated for free in case of emergencies... The only thing i pay for right now, is my doctor's visit to the HIV specialist (university hospital)... this costs me about 9 EUR for the dr. visit and a few euro's for the analysis (one euro is about 1.2 $). I wonder if adherence, prevalence of HAART amongst HIV positive folks can be correlated to the national social security/medical care provided by the goverment... Yes, Belgians pay about 50 to 55 % taxes... but we get sooooo much in return I always wonder why not more countries adapt their social security...

Yours, J

Dear J,

Certainly, the degree of support provided those in need in many countries is more humane than what exists here in the US.

If only your country were a tiny bit larger, maybe we could all move there!

re "Travelling to US"
When to start meds?