The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

re "Travelling to US"
Jun 1, 2006

Hi Dr Wohl

I read with interest your reply to the poster from India who was concerned about taking his HIV meds into the US during a working visit.

I am a UK citizen who is also on HIV meds, but was under the impression that no-one with HIV can ever enter the USA as a visitor - whether as a worker or a tourist. I've never been to the USA, but had hoped to visit on holiday, but since my diagnosis and beginning on meds I had struck off any notion of ever getting into the USA - and would not want to risk being caught with meds and expelled from the country.

Can you please confirm if the US laws on visitors with HIV has changed, or have I misunderstood your previous answer?

Best Regards, S.B.

Response from Dr. Wohl

Dear SB,

US immigration law and policy is quite complex when it comes to entry of HIV+ persons. Much has to due with whether or not HIV status is disclosed to US immigration officals at the time of entry. Declaring your HIV status on the entry form can lead refusal of entry and even detainment. Not disclosing your status may lead to entry but is considered fraud.

A very helpful primer can be found at UNGASS/20060508_HLM_Waiver_en.pdf

It is a document recently prepared for people preparing to come to the US for a UN meeting. The sections III-IV are very helpful to anyone who is HIV+ and considering entry into the US.

Other readers may be able to share their experiences on entering the US with or without their meds.


Traveling to US Correction
follow up on "Travelling to the US"

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint