cd4 count

i found out that i had contracted hiv in early jan this yr and when i was tested i my cd4 was 900 i went for my next test and it had gone up to 1100 i have just had another test and it shows that my cd4 has now dropped to 600 i am very worried about the large drop in a short time. When i got my 2nd cd4 count i they told me that it would take a long time to go down and now its jumped dramatically do you have any ideas why this is.Also i had a lot of protein in my urine and there was no infection and they could not find the reason for this can you help???

When you get an unexpected lab test result, it is generally a good idea to re-test. The CD4 can be somewhat variable. If your CD4% (another value that is listed on the CD4 count report) was basically the same, then no worries as it just means that on that day the proportion of your white cells that are CD4 was lower than usual. Of course, if you have a super high viral load, your CD4 can drop quickly. Repeat the test.

As far as urine protein, this can happen when there is underlying kidney disease - this may not be HIV related. HIV and injection drugs have been associated with kidney disease. A more common cause is high blood pressure. Again, repeat the test. If there is a lot of protein you need to see a kidney specialist.

Follow-up TB/HIV
PEP started at 71 hrs