Can I really be HIV +

I've been diagnosed HIV+ a week ago. Just as a routine check, as I am extremely healthy. My partner with whom Ive been having a faithful relationship of 7mnths tested HIV-, so dit my ex husband whom I was faithful to for 8yrs!.

My CD4 count is 1213, Viral load 6000. I just cannot believe that my test result is correct and would appreciate advice on this. I am however not wasting time and has started with Hydrogen Peroxide and St John's Wort treatment. If I am truly positive, I need to kick this virus out of my body long before it can cause any harm! I have 4 small children and have to be there for them!

If your ELISA and Western blot were both positive for HIV antibodies and your viral load was 6000, I would believe you were indeed HIV infected. I am not sure how you could have acquired the virus given what you have written but for all three of these tests to be falsely positive would be very very unlikely. Your doctor could try to order other types of tests to further support this diagnosis such as a p24 antigen. A repeat of the viral load and ELISA can also be done.

I applaud your committment to fight HIV. Unfortunately, we have not learned how to kick HIV out of the body once it settles in, as it has already in your case.

If, as it seems, you are HIV+, the key thing is to get into excellent care with a clinician very well versed in HIV care.

Anxious about the new guidelines for starting treatment question
New to treatment CD4- 66