fuzeon- what next

I have been on fuzeon now for five months. I am in a study where I was able to begin injecting with a Biojector. It is painful and difficult and I am begining to feel abdominal pain all of the time from injection sites and depression, is it ever going to end. Once a day fuzeon injection has been talked about? Is there any drug such as fuzeon that will be oral?? I need some encouragement. love david

Dear David,

Fuzeon can be a difficult drug to take. The biojector can be a godsend for many but for some even with this needleless device Fuzeon proves to be tough.

The makers of Fuzeon do have a support system of nurses who have techniques to reduce the injection site reactions. I would take adavantage of this resource.

Fuzeon is a protein and therefore can not be taken by mouth as it would get digested. Other drugs that act to prevent attachment of the virus to the T-cell that are oral are being developed.

Making you miserable is not the idea behind HIV therapy. If you can not stand to take Fuzeon any longer, talk it over with your doc. See if there are any alternatives with existing or soon to be released drugs.

What is the Goal of taking HIV Meds?
Follow-uo question about mucosal disease & sinusitis